- 2 cups uncooked spiral pasta
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1/2 pound Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 ounces sliced turkey pepperoni
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, crumble beef and sausage into a large skillet; add onion. Cook and stir over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Drain pasta; stir in meat mixture and pepperoni. Transfer half of the pasta mixture to a 2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle with half of the cheese; repeat layers.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Italian Pasta Casserole
"This was delicious! Made a few minor changes, used a 12 oz. can of homemade canned tomatoes and a 12 oz. can of homemade canned basil & garlic tomato sauce as well as basil and garlic tomato paste. It was a winner!"
"I made this recipe with only minor changes--I used an 8 oz. can of tomato sauce instead of tomato paste and a little bit of leftover spaghetti sauce. We really enjoyed it and my husband said to "move it up on the list." The casserole was very filling and had a lot of flavor."
"Disappointing. Had high hopes. First, thought the sauce to pasta ratio wrong. Too little pasta for amount of sauce. Then, even with all the spices found it quite bland. I should have kicked them up, but always try on the first shot to adhere strictly to the recipe. This one wasn't even appealing enough for me to adjust for personal taste and try again."
"my husband and I really liked this dish. I like the fact that you can tweek it to what you have on hand and it still is good."
"This is WONDERFUL. Thanks for sharing. The only thing I did differently was to chop the sausage instead of peeling and crumble . . . the reason was simply just to have a variety of textures. My husband said, "definitely add this to your collection." Took a plate to my best buddy and she gave it two thumbs up. Thanks again!!!"
"All i can say is hoe awesome this was! It will be one recipe my family requests . We just love anything with ground meat in it. And this recipe did not let me down. Perfect all the way around. You can adjust most of the ingredients in it to suite your taste. I always increase the chilli powder as we love spicy food. and spicy is good for you as it has been proven to wored of certain cancers."
"Anxious to try this recipe"
"I cut this recipe in half and made it for 2 and it was very good."