Italian Pasta Bake Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (24 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cups uncooked medium pasta shells
- 3 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes, mushrooms and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350°. Cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Add to beef mixture and gently stir in tomatoes.
- 3. Transfer to an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with cheeses. Cover and bake 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
1-1/2 cup: 489 calories, 20g fat (8g saturated fat), 80mg cholesterol, 702mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 32g protein
Reviews for Italian Pasta Bake
"Very flavorful and easy to make. Makes 2 casseroles, making it easy to freeze one and save for later. I thought I had penne pasta, but didn't, so I ended up using medium shell pasta and it was still great!"