Italian Pasta Bake
I love to make this dish whenever I need to bring a dish to pass. Fresh tomatoes add a nice touch that's missing from most other meat, pasta and tomato casseroles.Karla Johnson, East Helena, Montana
8 ServingsPrep: 40 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jar (24 ounces) spaghetti sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 cups uncooked medium pasta shells
- 3 plum tomatoes, sliced
- 3/4 cup shredded provolone cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion over medium heat until no
- longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Drain. Stir in the
- spaghetti sauce, diced tomatoes, mushrooms and Italian seasoning.
- Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions; drain. Add to
- beef mixture and gently stir in tomatoes.
- Transfer to an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Sprinkle with
- cheeses. Cover and bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until
- bubbly and heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet