- 1 pound sweet or hot Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links, casings removed
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian plum tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (15-1/2 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 pound mostaccioli, rigatoni or macaroni, cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pound shredded Fontina or mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, saute first six ingredients, crumbling with a fork, until the meat is browned and done. Drain. Add tomatoes, tomato paste, salt, pepper and kidney beans; heat through.
- Add pasta, Parmesan cheese and parsley; toss well. Spoon into a greased shallow 4-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with Fontina or mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30 minutes. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Originally published as Italian Pasta and Bean Casserole in Reminisce November/December 1991, p39
This recipe pairs well with a medium red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Santa Margherita Chianti Classico Reserva Italy 2009. Initial tastes of fruits and spice move to herbal notes for a long smooth finish. Buy now and get 3 bottles for $49.99. Order Now
Reviews for Italian Pasta and Bean Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review