Italian Parmesan Bread Recipe
When my grown children come home for visits, they always ask me to make this bread along with their favorite spaghetti dinner. In between times, the easy-to-prepare loaf is a hit at church socials and potluck suppers.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. + rising Bake: 35 min. YIELD:16 servings
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- butter, melted
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add 2 cups flour, 1/4 cup butter, egg, sugar, salt and seasonings. Beat at low speed until mixed, about 30 seconds; increase speed to medium and continue beating for 2 minutes. Stir in remaining flour and 1/3 cup cheese; beat until smooth.
- 2. Cover bowl and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Stir batter 25 strokes. Spread batter into a greased 1-1/2-qt. casserole; brush with melted butter and sprinkle with the remaining cheese. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 3. Bake at 350° about 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack 10 minutes before removing from the casserole. Yield: 1 loaf.
Diabetic Exchanges: One serving (1 slice) equals 1 starch, 1/2 fat; also, 97 calories, 216 mg sodium, 21 mg cholesterol, 13 gm carbohydrates, 3 gm protein, 3 gm fat.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC