“I first made this hearty sandwich for my husband, friends and family who were helping to build our deck. It was a big hit, and I’ve made it several times since then,” recalls Dana Schmitt ofAmes, Iowa. It also makes a quick and impressive summer party entree! &mdashDana Schmitt, Ames, Iowa
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 2/3 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, chopped
- 1 can (4-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives
- 6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Italian salad dressing
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 1/2 pound sliced deli turkey
- 1/4 pound sliced Swiss cheese
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced hard salami
- 1/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced bologna
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients; set aside.
- Cut bread in half horizontally; carefully hollow out top and bottom,
- leaving a 1-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another
- Spoon half of olive mixture over bottom half of bread. Layer with
- turkey, Swiss cheese, salami, provolone cheese, bologna and
- remaining olive mixture. Replace bread top. Cut into six wedges.
- Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 wedge equals 559 calories, 34 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 2,241 mg sodium,