Italian Muffuletta Recipe
“I first made this hearty sandwich for my husband, friends and family who were helping to build our deck. It was a big hit, and I’ve made it several times since then,” recalls Dana Schmitt ofAmes, Iowa. It also makes a quick and impressive summer party entree! &mdashDana Schmitt, Ames, Iowa
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 25 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 2/3 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, chopped
- 1 can (4-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives
- 6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Italian salad dressing
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 1/2 pound sliced deli turkey
- 1/4 pound sliced Swiss cheese
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced hard salami
- 1/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced bologna
- 1. In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients; set aside.
- 2. Cut bread in half horizontally; carefully hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- 3. Spoon half of olive mixture over bottom half of bread. Layer with turkey, Swiss cheese, salami, provolone cheese, bologna and remaining olive mixture. Replace bread top. Cut into six wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
1 wedge equals 559 calories, 34 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 2,241 mg sodium, 33 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 31 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC