“I first made this hearty sandwich for my husband, friends and family who were helping to build our deck. It was a big hit, and I’ve made it several times since then,” recalls Dana Schmitt ofAmes, Iowa. It also makes a quick and impressive summer party entree! &mdashDana Schmitt, Ames, Iowa
- 2/3 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, chopped
- 1 can (4-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives
- 6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Italian salad dressing
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 1/2 pound sliced deli turkey
- 1/4 pound sliced Swiss cheese
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced hard salami
- 1/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced bologna
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients; set aside.
- Cut bread in half horizontally; carefully hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- Spoon half of olive mixture over bottom half of bread. Layer with turkey, Swiss cheese, salami, provolone cheese, bologna and remaining olive mixture. Replace bread top. Cut into six wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Italian Muffuletta in Simple & Delicious July/August 2008, p11
Reviews for Italian Muffuletta
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review