- 2/3 cup pimiento-stuffed olives, chopped
- 1 can (4-1/4 ounces) chopped ripe olives
- 6 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup Italian salad dressing
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 loaf (1 pound) Italian bread
- 1/2 pound sliced deli turkey
- 1/4 pound sliced Swiss cheese
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced hard salami
- 1/4 pound sliced provolone cheese
- 1/4 pound thinly sliced bologna
- In a small bowl, combine the first five ingredients; set aside.
- Cut bread in half horizontally; carefully hollow out top and bottom, leaving a 1-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use).
- Spoon half of olive mixture over bottom half of bread. Layer with turkey, Swiss cheese, salami, provolone cheese, bologna and remaining olive mixture. Replace bread top. Cut into six wedges. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Italian Muffuletta
"Bob Tanner, stop giving every recipe 1 star if you have never tried it. Not everyone is a sodium nazi like you, try something first before you give it 1 star. And if you have a problem with it there's many ways YOU can adjust the sodium content of a recipe."
"I made this sandwich for a Lord of the Rings movie marathon and it was gone in minutes! Everyone raved about how "hobbit-worthy" it was! By popular request, I'll be making it again for our holiday board game extravaganza this weekend. My husband is not a fan of green olives, so I substitute black olives mixed with a few drops of olive oil and white balsamic vinegar (dark balsamic vinegar soaks into the bread and makes it look unappetizing). I also make this ahead of time, wrap it in plastic, and refrigerate with something heavy sitting on top of it to smash it all together."
"Delicious! This was quick, easy and my whole family loved it."
"This was easy to make and delicious. I substitued ham for the bologna and pepperoni for the salami. I also made the spread up a day ahead of time and it was fine. Hubby loved it!"
"These are also great made on a french bread and sliced into smaller bite sized sandwiches with a fancy toothpick.Darlene Vallon"
"This is a fantastic sandwich! Especially when you have to feed several people. I varied some of the ingredients to suit my family's tastes and used a sourdough boule and it was wonderful- I will use this recipe frequently!"