Italian Mini Frittatas Recipe
- 2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes (not packed in oil)
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 thin slices prosciutto, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups fat-free milk
- 4 egg whites
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Asiago cheese
- 1/2 cup canned water-packed artichoke hearts, rinsed, drained and chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1. Place tomatoes in a small bowl; add boiling water. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- 2. In a small nonstick skillet, saute prosciutto and shallots in butter until shallots are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Remove from the heat; set aside.
- 3. In a large bowl, whisk flour and milk until smooth; whisk in the egg whites and eggs until blended. Stir in the cheeses, artichokes, basil, salt, pepper, and reserved tomatoes and prosciutto mixture.
- 4. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray; fill with egg mixture. Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Carefully run a knife around edges to loosen; remove from pan. Serve warm. Yield: 1 dozen.
2 frittatas equals 172 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 93 mg cholesterol, 642 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 15 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1 starch.
Enjoy this recipe with a sparkling wine.