Italian Meatballs Recipe
Grandma "Sini" would make these meatballs for our traditional spaghetti dinner every Sunday. They freeze well, so bake an extra batch when time allows. Then combine with your favorite homemade or purchased sauce and serve over pasta.
- 4 slices day-old French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Mild Italian Links or Ground Sausage
- Marinara sauce
- Hot cooked pasta
- 1. Soak bread in milk for 10 minutes; drain and squeeze bread. In a blender in food processor, combine the bread, eggs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, garlic, oil, salt, pepper and allspice; cover and process until smooth.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine the beef and sausage. Add bread mixture; mix well. Shape into 2-in. balls. Place on a greased rack in a shallow baking pan.
- 3. Bake, uncovered, at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until the meatballs are no longer pink; drain. In a large saucepan, heat marinara sauce; add the meatballs and heat through.
- 4. Serve over pasta. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (3 each) equals 434 calories, 25 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 137 mg cholesterol, 1,161 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 31 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC