- 1/3 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the milk, sugar,
- shortening, egg, salt and 2 cups flour. Beat until smooth. Stir in
- enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the
- top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, 1 to 1-1/2
- In a large bowl, combine the milk, eggs, oats, saltines, onion,
- celery and seasonings. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape
- into 1-1/2-in. balls. In a large skillet over medium heat, cook
- meatballs in batches until no longer pink.
- Meanwhile, place tomatoes and onion in a small saucepan. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until
- slightly thickened. Stir in the Parmesan cheese, herbs and salt.
- Punch dough down. Divide into three portions. Roll two portions into
- 11-in. circles; line the bottoms and press partially up the sides of
- two greased 9-in. springform pans. Roll third portion into a
- 12x10-in. rectangle; cut into twelve 10x1-in. strips.
- Place meatballs in prepared crusts; top with tomato mixture and
- mozzarella cheese. Make lattice crusts with strips of dough; trim
- and seal edges. Cover and let rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Bake 30-35 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut into wedges. Yield: 2 tortes (6 servings each).
Nutritional Facts: 1 wedge equals 840 calories, 39 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 231 mg cholesterol, 1,678 mg sodium, 65 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 55 g protein.
Wine: Full-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.