Italian Meatball Calzones Recipe
Using Italian-style frozen beef meatballs or refrigerated turkey meatballs is a great time-saver. To add crunch and color, drop in roasted red or green pepper strips. Dave Bremson, Plantation, Florida
- 1 package (12 ounces) frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs, thawed
- 2 cups pizza sauce
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 3/4 cup Galbani® Ricotta Cheese
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1 package (15 ounces) refrigerated pie pastry
- Additional pizza sauce, optional
- 1. Heat meatballs according to package directions. In a large saucepan, heat pizza sauce; stir in meatballs. In a small bowl, combine the cheeses and basil. In another bowl, whisk the egg white and water; set aside.
- 2. Unroll one pastry onto a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Spoon half of meatball mixture onto half of the pastry to within 1/2 in. of the edges. Top with half of cheese mixture. Fold dough over the filling, forming a half circle. Moisten edges with water; press with a fork to seal. Brush top with egg mixture. Repeat with remaining pastry, meatball mixture and egg mixture.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Cut each calzone into three wedges. Serve with additional pizza sauce if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 wedge (calculated without additional pizza sauce) equals 559 calories, 32 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 84 mg cholesterol, 694 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 22 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC