- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pound Italian sausage links, cut into 3/4-inch slices
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 can (4 ounces) mushroom stems and pieces, drained
- 1/2 cup sliced pimiento-stuffed olives, optional
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1-1/2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1 bay leaf
- Hot cooked spaghetti
- In a Dutch oven, cook the beef, sausage and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Add the tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, water, mushrooms, olives if desired and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 45-60 minutes or until sauce reaches desired thickness.
- Discard bay leaf. Serve over spaghetti; or cool, cover and freeze for up to 2 months. Yield: 9 servings.
Originally published as Two-Meat Spaghetti Sauce in Taste of Home April/May 2005, p47
Reviews for Italian Meat Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Jul. 11, 2013
"This is the ONLY sauce I make now and they are right when they say it tastes just as great after being frozen. No more Jar Sauce for me. This is a winner"
Reviewed Apr. 25, 2012
"This is an excellent sauce. I made the recipe as is except I eliminated the mushrooms."