Italian Meat Sauce with Meatballs Recipe
- 1 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 small green pepper, chopped
- 12 frozen fully cooked Italian meatballs (1/2 ounce each), thawed and halved
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) tomato sauce
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan and Romano cheese blend
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Hot cooked pasta
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the sausage, onion and pepper over medium heat until sausage is no longer pink; drain. Transfer to a 4-qt. slow cooker. Add the meatballs, tomato sauce, tomatoes, tomato paste, Parmesan cheese blend, garlic and seasonings. Cover and cook on low for 4-5 hours or until hot and bubbly.
- 2. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Cook 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Serve with pasta. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup (calculated without pasta) equals 326 calories, 21 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 55 mg cholesterol, 1,287 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 21 g protein.
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.