Italian Meat Loaf Recipe
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce, divided
- 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion, optional
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green pepper, optional
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a bowl, combine the egg, half of the tomato sauce, bread crumbs, onion and green pepper if desired, 1/2 teaspoon of oregano, salt and pepper. Add beef; mix well.
- 2. On a large piece of heavy-duty foil, pat meat mixture into a 14-in. x 8-in. rectangle. Sprinkle cheeses to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a short side and peeling foil away while rolling. Seal seam and ends. Transfer to a microwave-safe glass 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan.
- 3. Microwave, uncovered, at 50% power for 9 minutes, rotating a half turn once; drain. Continue cooking on 50% power for 14-16 minutes or until meat is no longer pink, rotating a half turn once. In a bowl, combine the remaining tomato sauce and oregano. Pour over meat loaf. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1-1/2 minutes. Cover loosely with foil; let stand 5 minutes before serving. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 315 calories, 18 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 119 mg cholesterol, 788 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 28 g protein.
Reviews for Italian Meat Loaf
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.