- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 1 pound bulk pork sausage
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 1-1/4 cups milk
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large skillet, cook the beef, sausage, onion, pepper and salt over medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the soup, milk, tomato sauce, garlic powder, oregano and sugar. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes or until heated through.
- Drain meat mixture; spoon half into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Layer half of the potatoes. Repeat layers. Top with soup mixture.
- Cover and bake at 350° for 1-1/4 hours or until potatoes are tender. Uncover; sprinkle with cheese. Bake 15 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 10-12 servings.
This recipe pairs well with a full-bodied red wine.
Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Mike Ditka "The Coach" Cabernet Sauvignon CA 2011, a full-bodied, big bold cab with all of the dark fruit notes and structure that a great cab needs. Buy now and get 6 bottles, plus free shipping. Order Now
Reviews for Italian Meat and Potatoes
Sort By :
Just read all the yummy ingredients in this dish. OMGosh. Look forward to making this mouth watering casserole, SOON!!
Family enjoyed this. Reheated well. Easy to make.
I have made this soooo many times exactly as written and as my husband says "Top Ten"!