Italian Lentil Soup Recipe
Lentils, like beans, are part of the legume family and add cholesterol-reducing fiber to this tasty soup. Marybeth Gessele - Gaston, Oregon
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-1/4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the water, broth, lentils, carrot, green pepper, oregano, basil and pepper flakes if desired. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until lentils are almost tender.
- 2. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until lentils are tender. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).
1-1/3 cups with 1/3 cup rice equals 269 calories, 3 g fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 383 mg sodium, 48 g carbohydrate, 14 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC