- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3-1/4 cups water
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) vegetable broth
- 1 cup dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 medium carrot, shredded
- 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes, optional
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- In a Dutch oven, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the water, broth, lentils, carrot, green pepper, oregano, basil and, if desired, pepper flakes. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until lentils are almost tender.
Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 10 minutes longer or until lentils are tender. Serve with rice.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Serve with rice. Yield: 6 servings (2 quarts).
Reviews for Italian Lentil Soup
"Add some sausage and you have a perfect, balanced meal. This is delicious!!!"
"The recipe was good, but it was a little too acidic for my taste. Next time I make it I will add something to balance it out."
"It was okay, but it seemed to need something, you when I heated up the leftovers I added some spaghetti sauce to it and it was much better."
"Rich and filling. It's a family favorite. Sometimes I chop the carrots to make preparation a little easier."
"Made it for company and they all loved it. I cooked the lentins separately, for me they needed more cooking time, then I followed the directions and it came out great."