Italian Lemon Frozen Dessert Recipe
- 5 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter, melted, divided
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup amaretti cookie crumbs
- 1. In a large bowl, beat the eggs, sugar and ricotta cheese; slowly add 1/2 cup butter. Stir in lemon juice and peel. Transfer to a large saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon. Transfer to a large bowl; cool completely.
- 2. Line a 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan with plastic wrap. In a small bowl, whip the cream until soft peaks form. Fold into cooled lemon mixture. Pour into prepared pan. Combine cookie crumbs and remaining butter; sprinkle over lemon mixture. Cover and freeze for several hours or overnight.
- 3. Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before serving. Using plastic wrap, lift dessert out of pan. Invert onto a serving platter; discard plastic wrap. Cut into slices. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice equals 567 calories, 40 g fat (23 g saturated fat), 247 mg cholesterol, 215 mg sodium, 45 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 10 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.