Christmas wouldn't be the same without my grandmother's cookies. A plate full of these light and zesty cookies is divine!—Elisabeth Miller, Broadview Heights, Ohio
Featured In: Mom's Best Cookie Recipes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- Colored sugar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and lemon peel. Gradually beat in flour. Refrigerate, covered, 1 hour or until firm enough to shape.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape level tablespoons of dough into 6-in. ropes. Shape each rope into an “S”, then coil each end until it touches the center. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Whisk egg whites; brush over cookies. Sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Bake 12-14 minutes or until bottoms are brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Yield: 3 dozen.
Originally published as Italian Lemon Cookies in Cookies & Candies Bookazine 2014, p48
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Italian Lemon Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review