Italian Hot Dish Recipe
- 1-1/2 cups uncooked small pasta shells
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms, divided
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, divided
- 4 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1. Cook pasta according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, cook the beef, 1/2 cup mushrooms, onion and green pepper until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomato sauce, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 2. Drain pasta; place in an 8-in. square baking dish coated with cooking spray. Top with meat sauce and remaining mushrooms. Sprinkle with 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese and 2 teaspoons Parmesan cheese.
- 3. Cover and bake at 350° for 35 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheeses. Bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 391 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 65mg cholesterol, 663mg sodium, 36g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 3g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 1/2 fat.
Reviews for Italian Hot Dish
"I've been making this recipe for many years. I got it from Taste of Home magazine years ago. It's still a favorite in our home. Everyone loves it!"
"Very easy to make, but I think I will add some sun-dried tomatoes to my next batch to increase the flavor a bit."
"I love this dish idea. I change almost every recipe so I do Italian seasoned ground turkey (that way you actually don't need to add spices and it's got lots of flavor) I add minced garlic when browning the turkey and veggies. I also use a whole bag of mozzarella cheese on top and I only bake for like 25 minutes and then take the lid off for 10 more minutes. I also over cook so all the ingredients are doubled in my bake. But everyone in my house loves this dish!!!"
"kids liked it more than I did. a bit bland"
"Absolutely fabulous!! I changed the hamburger to half sausage and half turkey and instead of using tomato sauce used spaghetti sauce and it was magnificoo!"
"this! is a comfort food."
"Add a can of diced tomatoes next time."
"Greasy so remember to drain ground beef before adding things."
"Great recipe especially the sauce. Planning to make some of the sauce up to freeze. Thanks for sharing."
"When my husband eats the leftovers, you know it was good."
"made this at Ronald McDonald House and received rave thank yous for real food"
"Really good, but needs a bit more punch (if you like that sort of taste). I would add a bit more onion, garlic, and use a pepper with a little more kick. Otherwiwse it is really good!"
"Made this last night without the meat and increased the mushrooms to make it all veggies. Didn't have time to bake it, so just added the cooked whole wheat pasta to the sauce in the skillet, sprinkled the cheeses on top and covered about 5-10, just long enough for the cheese to melt through. Was delicious!! Will definately make this again. It's a very versatile basic recipe."
"Pretty good stuff"
"WOW! This recipe was fantastic. I will be making this over and over again. I didn't have ground beef so I substituted ground pork. Try this recipe - you'll be glad you did!"
"This tasted okay, but not worth all the time required. It's frustrating when you have to boil noodles, chop, saute, then bake. Too many steps required for an okay dish.~ Theresa"
"I did not change a thing! I make it exactly as it suggested, even though I do not care for some of the veggies, and it turns out delicious every time! My kids, who are sometimes a bit picky, get excited when they see that I'm whipping up Italian Hot Dish!"
"I made this recipe again using low sugar spaghetti sauce and it was good. It was very plain before. I will try it again using the suggestions of green pepper, italian seasoning and red pepper flakes. It just didnt have flavor the way the recipe is written."
"Fast & delicious.Modified this recipe by adding approximately a tsp of minced garlic to the onions/ green peppers/beef. Also substituted approximately a capful of Italian Seasoning for the oregano, garlic powder, and onion powder."
"Hello fellow Sheboyganite, Must try this recipe, sound easy & delicousJanet"
"HAVEN'T TRIED IT YET BUT SOUNDSINTERESTING.READING PAST REMARKSI WOULD THINK THIS TO BE MORE OFA COMFORT FOOD--NOT SPICY LIKE AMEXICAN DISH SO WHY RUIN IT BYADDING HOT FLAKES.OLD WORLD ANNI"
"I like this recipe, and it's easy to adjust or add ingredients to suit your tastes. I added two chopped cloves of garlic, used half a chopped medium onion, plus added a splash of worcestershire sauce. I thought that I might try adding some diced Italian tomatoes next time, along with some chopped celery (not more than 1/4 cup).All in all an excellent, filling dish, great served with a green salad and garlic sticks.DeeDee 49"
"so where's the hot stuff??Needs a shake of hot pepper flakes....."
"Very good, next time I would add more veggies though because I could not really taste any."