Italian Holiday Bread
A subtle anise flavor highlights this traditional bread dotted with chunks of citron. "Before bread machines, I made a similar recipe by hand," says Betty Alexander of Kelowna, British Columbia.
16 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Bake: 3-4 hours
- 2/3 cup warm milk (70° to 80°)
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground aniseed
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup chopped candied citron
- 1/4 cup chopped candied pineapple
- In a bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by
- manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and
- loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions
- (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of
- water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (1 pound).
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 95 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 171 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.