Italian Holiday Bread Recipe
A subtle anise flavor highlights this traditional bread dotted with chunks of citron. "Before bread machines, I made a similar recipe by hand," says Betty Alexander of Kelowna, British Columbia.
- 2/3 cup warm milk (70° to 80°)
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground aniseed
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup chopped candied citron
- 1/4 cup chopped candied pineapple
- 1. In a bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (1 pound).
1 serving (1 slice) equals 95 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 171 mg sodium, 17 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Italian Holiday Bread
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC