Italian Holiday Bread Recipe
A subtle anise flavor highlights this traditional bread dotted with chunks of citron. "Before bread machines, I made a similar recipe by hand," says Betty Alexander of Kelowna, British Columbia.
- 2/3 cup warm milk (70° to 80°)
- 1 egg
- 4 teaspoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground aniseed
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup chopped candied citron
- 1/4 cup chopped candied pineapple
- In a bread machine pan, place all ingredients in order suggested by manufacturer. Select basic bread setting. Choose crust color and loaf size if available. Bake according to bread machine directions (check dough after 5 minutes of mixing; add 1 to 2 tablespoons of water or flour if needed). Yield: 1 loaf (1 pound).
Originally published as Italian Holiday Bread in Quick Cooking December 2000, p19
Reviews for Italian Holiday Bread(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review