Italian Heritage Casserole Recipe
- 6 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 red pepper, cut in lengthwise strips
- 1 green pepper, cut in lengthwise strips
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 frying chicken (3 pounds), skinned and cut in pieces or 6 chicken breast halves, cut in chunks
- 1 pound sweet or mild Italian sausage, cut in 1-inch to 2-inch chunks
- 1. Spray a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish with vegetable cooking oil; arrange potatoes and peppers in the dish. Combine the seasoning; sprinkle a third of the seasoning mixture over vegetables.
- 2. Layer chicken pieces and sausage over vegetables; sprinkle remaining seasoning mixture on top. Cover and bake at 425° for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°; bake 30-40 minutes longer. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 419 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 103mg cholesterol, 619mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 3g fiber), 35g protein.
Reviews for Italian Heritage Casserole
"I add baby carrots and frozen pearl onions. Also will sometimes mix hot Italian sausage with the mild Italian. If adding additional mean I add some cooking time also. this is a family favorite"
"My kids enjoyed this casserole. I added diced tomatoes without draining them to the potato layer. The oregano flavor was a bit heavy so I would recommend cutting it in half. One of the kids suggested adding onions to the dish, which I will try. This is a full, flavorful meal in one dish."
"I love this recipe, and it has become a big-time favorite with my family. One problem though; every time I make it, I end up with about an inch of water at the bottom, which washes all the spices off the potatoes. Any idea how I can avoid this? Or is it normal?"
"This was good. When I made this I left out the sausage. Next time we will add more peppers and seasoning, with less potatoes."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.