Italian Heritage Casserole
Every bite of this hearty one-dish meal brings back memories of my grandmother's Italian kitchen. To this day, I can picture Grandma slicing fresh sausage, dicing crispy peppers and adding "just a pinch" of oregano. I stir up those memories often— this casserole's a favorite for family gatherings, church suppers and post-practice community choir socials.
6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 1 hour
- 6 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 red pepper, cut in lengthwise strips
- 1 green pepper, cut in lengthwise strips
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 frying chicken (3 pounds), skinned and cut in pieces or 6 chicken breast halves, cut in chunks
- 1 pound sweet or mild Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links, cut in 1-inch to 2-inch chunks
- Spray a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish with vegetable cooking oil;
- arrange potatoes and peppers in the dish. Combine the seasoning;
- sprinkle a third of the seasoning mixture over vegetables.
- Layer chicken pieces and sausage over vegetables; sprinkle remaining
- seasoning mixture on top. Cover and bake at 425° for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 375°; bake 30-40 minutes longer. Yield: 6
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 419 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 103 mg cholesterol, 619 mg sodium,