- 6 potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 red pepper, cut in lengthwise strips
- 1 green pepper, cut in lengthwise strips
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 frying chicken (3 pounds), skinned and cut in pieces or 6 chicken breast halves, cut in chunks
- 1 pound sweet or mild Johnsonville® Mild Italian Sausage Links, cut in 1-inch to 2-inch chunks
- Spray a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish with vegetable cooking oil; arrange potatoes and peppers in the dish. Combine the seasoning; sprinkle a third of the seasoning mixture over vegetables.
- Layer chicken pieces and sausage over vegetables; sprinkle remaining seasoning mixture on top. Cover and bake at 425° for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 375°; bake 30-40 minutes longer. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Italian Heritage Casserole
Sort By :
"My kids enjoyed this casserole. I added diced tomatoes without draining them to the potato layer. The oregano flavor was a bit heavy so I would recommend cutting it in half. One of the kids suggested adding onions to the dish, which I will try. This is a full, flavorful meal in one dish."
"I love this recipe, and it has become a big-time favorite with my family. One problem though; every time I make it, I end up with about an inch of water at the bottom, which washes all the spices off the potatoes. Any idea how I can avoid this? Or is it normal?"
"This was good. When I made this I left out the sausage. Next time we will add more peppers and seasoning, with less potatoes."