Simple yet elegant, this entree salad is one of my husband's favorites. We love the juicy chicken, fresh greens and bread that's toasted over an open flame. Add whatever beans your gang prefers. -Lisa Rawski of Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Recommended: 45 Surprising Foods You Can (and Should!) Grill
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 4 ounces Italian bread, sliced
- 4 cups torn romaine
- 2 cups chopped seeded tomatoes
- 1 cup white kidney or cannellini beans
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the first six ingredients; shake well. Remove 1 tablespoon vinegar mixture; brush over chicken. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Set aside remaining vinegar mixture.
- Coat grill rack with cooking spray before starting grill. Grill chicken, covered, over medium heat for 4-6 minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer reads 170°.
- Brush bread slices with 1 tablespoon reserved vinegar mixture. Grill bread, uncovered, over medium heat for 2 minutes on each side or until toasted. Slice chicken and cut bread into cubes; set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the romaine, tomatoes, beans, basil and bread cubes. Drizzle with remaining vinegar mixture; toss to coat. Arrange on salad plates. Top with chicken. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Italian Grilled Chicken Salad in Light & Tasty April/May 2004, p37
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Italian Grilled Chicken Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 3, 2014
"Loved this - found this in the late fall so made it on my stove top grill but it was still wonderful."