Italian Grilled Cheese Recipe
These sandwiches are a delicious, dressed-up version of the traditional favorite. The pocket of melted mozzarella or provolone cheese and a crisp crumb coating give these hot sandwiches a tasty twist.—Vera Ambroselli, Lehigh Acres, Florida
- 4 slices Italian bread (1 inch thick)
- 4 slices part-skim mozzarella cheese or provolone cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 3/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1. Cut a 3-in. pocket in each slice of bread; place a slice of cheese in each pocket. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, Italian seasoning and garlic salt. Soak bread for 2 minutes on each side. Coat with bread crumbs.
- 2. Cook on a hot greased griddle until golden brown on both side and cooked through. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 310 calories, 13 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 186 mg cholesterol, 856 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 17 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC