Italian Green Beans Recipe
When I was first married, I wasn't a great cook. Twenty years later, I have many dishes I'm proud of, including this family favorite. Basil, oregano and Romano cheese give these beans their Italian accent. I serve them with broiled steak, pork roast, lamb chops or pork chops. -Andrea Ibzag, Gordon, Wisconsin
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, coarsely mashed
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- 1. In a small saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, water, oregano, basil, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, place beans in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Add tomato mixture and cheese; cook for 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 73 calories, 3 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 2 mg cholesterol, 100 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.
Reviews for Italian Green Beans
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC