Italian Green Beans Recipe
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, coarsely mashed
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh oregano or 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 4-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1-1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 2 pounds fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano cheese
- In a small saucepan, saute onion in oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Add the tomatoes, water, oregano, basil, sugar, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place beans in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Cook, uncovered, for 8-10 minutes or until crisp-tender; drain. Add tomato mixture and cheese; cook for 5 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 10 servings.
Reviews for Italian Green Beans
Sort By :
I used frozen green beans. The flavor was excellent but I'm going to use fresh the next time!
Loved these, great flavor in the sauce.
I think in order to give this 5 stars I would have to leave the recipe "as is." I did change a few things though, that's the reason for the 4 stars. However, with the changes, it gets 5 stars. I used 1 can italian diced tomatoes with oregano, basil and garlic. I omitted the oregano & basil since these ingredients were in the canned tomatoes. I used 2 lbs. frozen green beans instead of fresh. The rest of the ingredients, I left the same. I was taking these to a potluck which was about 4 hours later so after following all of the directions for cooking them, I put them in a crockpot on low until time to eat. (I like my green beans "cooked to death" and these came out perfectly). My husband loved them so this is definitely a keeper (especially since I have a difficult time getting him to eat his veggies)!
Thank You for this recipe!
I cooked the green beans in the sauce. I made mine healthy by eliminating the extra salt and sugar. I finished the beans with a splash of balsalmic vinegar. I won't use the stewed tomatoes next time, maybe diced Italian seasoned tomatoes instead. I don't care for the hard celery bits in the stewed ones.