Italian Green Bean Stew Recipe
- 1/2 pound beef stew meat, cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup water, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup frozen cut green beans
- 1/4 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 to 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook meat in 1 tablespoon butter until browned; drain and set meat aside. In same saucepan, saute the celery, onion and garlic with remaining butter until tender. Stir in the tomatoes, 3/4 cup water, salt, oregano, pepper and reserved meat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- 2. Stir in beans and parsley. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 30 minutes longer or until meat and beans are tender. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth. Gradually stir into stew. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 2 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 356 calories, 19 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 101 mg cholesterol, 1,104 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.