Italian Garden Sauce
Although we plant a medium-size garden each year, we grow lots of tomatoes. This sauce is especially good because it's so chunky...and goes well with all kinds of pasta.
12 ServingsPrep: 5 min. Cook: 2 hours 40 min.
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 8 cups diced peeled fresh tomatoes
- 2 medium green peppers, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cooked pasta
- In a large Dutch oven, brown and crumble sausage; drain. Add
- tomatoes, green peppers, onion, garlic, tomato sauce, water and
- seasonings. Cook, uncovered, for 2-1/2 hours or until sauce reaches
- desired thickness. Serve over pasta. Yield: about 9 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 110 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 15 mg cholesterol, 550 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.