Although we plant a medium-size garden each year, we grow lots of tomatoes. This sauce is especially good because it's so chunky...and goes well with all kinds of pasta.
Recommended: 42 Better-for-You Pasta Recipes
- 1 pound bulk Italian Sausage
- 8 cups diced peeled fresh tomatoes
- 2 medium green peppers, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (15 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Cooked pasta
- In a large Dutch oven, brown and crumble sausage; drain. Add tomatoes, green peppers, onion, garlic, tomato sauce, water and seasonings. Cook, uncovered, for 2-1/2 hours or until sauce reaches desired thickness. Serve over pasta. Yield: about 9 cups.
Originally published as Italian Garden Sauce in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook , p11
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Italian Garden Sauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review