- 2 pounds eggplant, peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium zucchini, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 5 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 celery ribs, sliced
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup minced fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup grated Romano cheese
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Cut eggplant into 1/2-in. thick slices, then cut into 1/2-in. cubes. In a nonstick skillet, saute eggplant in oil until lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Add onions, garlic and zucchini; cook 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, celery, parsley, basil, seasoning blend and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat; stir in Romano cheese. Pour into greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Combine crumbs and butter; sprinkle on top.
- Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15 minutes. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Garden Casserole in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Annual 2000, p221
Medium-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or Zinfandel.
Reviews for Italian Garden Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
More Recipe Collections
- Baking Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Diabetic Dinner Recipes >
- Diabetic Recipes >
- Dinner Recipes >
- Italian Casseroles >
- Italian Dinners >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Vegetarian Recipes >
- Low Fat Dinner Recipes & Main Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >