VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/2 to 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried rosemary, crushed
- In a small bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. In a large bowl, combine 1/4 cup oil, sugar, salt, yeast mixture and 2 cups flour; beat on medium speed until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Pat each piece flat. Let rest 5 minutes. Roll out each portion into an 11-in. circle; place on greased baking sheets. Cover with kitchen towels; let rise in a warm place until almost doubled, about 40 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°. Using the end of a wooden spoon handle, make several 1/4-in. indentations. Brush with remaining oil. In a small bowl, combine cheese, garlic salt and rosemary; sprinkle over dough. Bake 12-15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool. Cut into wedges. Yield: 2 loaves (8 wedges each).
Originally published as Italian Flatbread in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2016, p40