Italian Flan Recipe
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto
- 2 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- Whipped cream and chopped hazelnuts
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan over medium heat, combine sugar and water. Cook stirring occasionally until sugar begins to melt. Using a pastry brush dipped in cold water, wash down the sides of the pan to eliminate sugar crystals. Cook without stirring until amber brown, about 8 minutes.
- 2. Quickly pour into an ungreased 9-in. round baking pan, tilting to coat bottom of pan. Place pan in a large baking pan; let stand for 10 minutes.
- 3. In a blender, combine the condensed milk, cream, eggs, milk, Amaretto and espresso powder. Cover and process for 1 minute or until well blended. Slowly pour into prepared baking pan.
- 4. Add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 1 to 1-1/4 hours or until center is just set (mixture will jiggle). Remove baking pan from water bath; cool for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- 5. To serve flan, run a knife around edge of pan; invert onto a rimmed serving dish. Garnish with whipped cream and hazelnuts. Yield: 8 servings.
1 slice (calculated without whipped cream and hazelnuts): 389 calories, 18g fat (11g saturated fat), 165mg cholesterol, 117mg sodium, 49g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 0g fiber), 8g protein .