I created this twist on enchiladas one night when I wanted an easy oven meal and had extra tortillas on hand. It turned out better than I expected. Pair it with steamed green beans or a tossed salad, and dinner is ready! —Yvonne Opp, Greenville, Pennsylvania
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 pound bulk spicy pork sausage
- 1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 package (3-1/2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
- 3 cups (12 ounces) shredded provolone cheese
- 1 cup chopped ripe olives
- 12 flour tortillas (6 inches)
- 1/3 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until thickened, stirring occasionally.
- In a large skillet, cook pork and mushrooms over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Spread 1/3 cup sauce on the bottom of each of two greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dishes. Place 4 pepperoni slices, 1/4 cup sausage mixture, 2 tablespoons provolone cheese and 1 heaping tablespoonful olives down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in prepared baking dishes. Pour remaining sauce over the top; sprinkle with Parmesan and remaining provolone cheese.
- Cover and bake one casserole at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Cover and freeze remaining casserole for up to 3 months.
- To use frozen casserole: Thaw in the refrigerator overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover; bake 5-10 minutes longer or until heated through and cheese is melted. Yield: 2 casseroles (6 servings each).
Originally published as Italian Enchiladas in Simple & Delicious August/September 2012, p19
Reviews for Italian Enchiladas
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review