We used to raise our own chickens, so I always had plenty of eggs on hand for weekly brunch or supper dishes. This recipe is a combination of some of my favorite flavors and one my husband really enjoys. I freeze a pint jar or two of sliced chives from my garden during the summer months so we can enjoy them in recipes like this all year long.—Sue Gronholz, Beaver Dam, Wisconsin
Recommended: 21 Dishes with an Egg on Top
- 4 slices sandwich bread, cubed
- 1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup soft sun-dried tomato halves (not packed in oil), finely chopped
- 6 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 2/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced chives
- In a greased 8-in. square baking dish, layer half of each of the following: bread, basil, tomatoes, bacon and cheese. Repeat layers.
- In a small bowl, whisk eggs, milk, garlic, salt and pepper. Pour over layers. Refrigerate, covered, several hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Remove casserole from refrigerator while oven heats. Bake, covered, 30 minutes. Bake, uncovered, 15-20 minutes longer or until puffed, golden and a knife inserted near the center comes out clean. Sprinkle with chives. Let stand 5-10 minutes before cutting. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Italian Egg Bake in Breakfast & Brunch Bookazine 2014, p28
Reviews for Italian Egg Bake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review