Italian Easter Bread Recipe
- 3 to 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup warm milk (120° to 130°)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 7 eggs
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1/4 cup chopped blanched almonds
- 1/2 teaspoon aniseed
- Canola oil
- 1. In a large bowl, combine 1 cup flour, sugar, yeast and salt. Add milk and butter; beat 2 minutes on medium. Add 2 eggs and 1/2 cup flour; beat 2 minutes on high. Stir in fruit, nuts and aniseed; mix well. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- 2. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl; turn once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. If desired, dye remaining eggs (leave them uncooked); lightly rub with oil. Punch dough down. Divide in half; roll each piece into a 24-in. rope. Loosely twist ropes and tuck eggs into openings. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- 4. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan; cool on a wire rack. Yield: 1 bread.
1 piece: 185 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 98mg cholesterol, 203mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 1g fiber), 6g protein.
Reviews for Italian Easter Bread
"The best and can always count on Taste of Home"
"This reminds me of my Nonni's Easter bread. Love it!"