Italian Dinner Soup Recipe
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 7 tablespoons shredded Galbani® Part Skim Mozzarella Cheese
- 1. In a nonstick Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook the chicken over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. Add peppers, onion, celery and carrot to pan; cook and stir until crisp-tender. Add the garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the chicken, water, tomatoes, broth, Parmesan cheese and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes.
- 3. Stir in macaroni; cook 20 minutes longer or until macaroni is tender. Sprinkle each serving with mozzarella cheese. Yield: 7 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
1-1/2 cups equals 203 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 707 mg sodium, 22 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 20 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 1-1/2 starch.