“My husband takes soup or stew to work daily for lunch,” writes Joan Winterle from Center Barnstead, New Hampshire. “This hearty soup is his very favorite and the one he requests nearly every time I ask him what to make.” Enjoy!
Featured In: 30 Soup Recipes Ready in 30 Minutes
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 celery rib, thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups water
- 1 can (28 ounces) Italian crushed tomatoes
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 7 tablespoons shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a nonstick Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook the chicken over medium heat until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- Add peppers, onion, celery and carrot to pan; cook and stir until crisp-tender. Add the garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Add the chicken, water, tomatoes, broth, Parmesan cheese and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 40 minutes.
- Stir in macaroni; cook 20 minutes longer or until macaroni is tender. Sprinkle each serving with mozzarella cheese. Yield: 7 servings (about 2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Italian Dinner Soup in Light & Tasty February/March 2008, p47
Reviews for Italian Dinner Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed May. 2, 2012
"We make this soup often. It is so yummy - and has become one of our favorite soups!"
Reviewed Jan. 4, 2011
"Tasted delicious!! A perfect soup for a cold winter day!!"