Buttermilk makes every bite of this awesome dessert moist and flavorful. I rely on this recipe year-round.—Joyce Lutz, Centerview, Missouri
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 2 cups sugar
- 5 eggs, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1-1/2 cups flaked coconut
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- CREAM CHEESE FROSTING:
- 2 packages (one 8 ounces, one 3 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 6 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°. In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla. Combine flour and baking soda; add to creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat just until combined. Stir in coconut and pecans.
- In a small bowl, beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold a fourth of the egg whites into batter, then fold in remaining whites. Pour into three greased and floured 9-in. round baking pans.
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in confectioners’ sugar and vanilla until fluffy. Stir in pecans. Spread frosting between layers and over top and sides of cake. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings.
Originally published as Italian Cream Cheese Cake in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2008, p11
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Italian Cream Cheese Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review