My 100% Italian husband will tell you these are his favorite cookies. I make them often, and definitely every Christmas (if not, people get upset). They're good with or without icing and sprinkles. —Marie Forte, Raritan, New Jersey
- 1/2 pound butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla or anise extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 to 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- Flaked coconut or assorted sprinkles
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and extract. Combine flour and baking powder; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 9-11 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, in a small bowl, combine the confectioners' sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Dip cookies in icing; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; decorate as desired. Let stand until set. Yield: 7 dozen.
Originally published as Italian Cookies in Taste of Home June/July 2009, p69
Reviews for Italian Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review