Italian Christmas Turkey Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (14 ounces) seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 to 3 cups hot water
- 1 turkey (16 pounds)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add the sausage, celery and onion; cook and stir until meat is no longer pink. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the stuffing cubes, egg substitute and enough water to reach desired moistness.
- 2. Just before baking, loosely stuff turkey with stuffing. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; cover and refrigerate. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- 3. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up in a roasting pan. Rub with salt and pepper.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 165° when inserted in center of stuffing and the thigh reaches at least 170°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- 5. Bake additional stuffing, covered, for 25-30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160°. Cover turkey and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving turkey. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy. Yield: 16 servings (12 cups stuffing).
8 ounces cooked turkey with 3/4 cup stuffing equals 777 calories, 40 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 282 mg cholesterol, 788 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 80 g protein.
Reviews for Italian Christmas Turkey
"My German-Polish family has been making stuffing with hamburger and bratwurst mix, in place of the Italian sausage, for generations. We don't follow a recipe, but if we did, it would be almost identical to this. Isn't it amazing how much alike we are, where ever our ancestors came from."
"This is an excellent recipe. We've been making the same for years."
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer