Italian Christmas Turkey Recipe
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 package (14 ounces) seasoned stuffing cubes
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 to 3 cups hot water
- 1 turkey (16 pounds)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1. In a large skillet over medium heat, melt butter. Add the sausage, celery and onion; cook and stir until meat is no longer pink. Transfer to a large bowl; stir in the stuffing cubes, egg substitute and enough water to reach desired moistness.
- 2. Just before baking, loosely stuff turkey with stuffing. Place remaining stuffing in a greased 2-qt. baking dish; cover and refrigerate. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking.
- 3. Skewer turkey openings; tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up in a roasting pan. Rub with salt and pepper.
- 4. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 3-3/4 to 4-1/4 hours or until a thermometer reads 165° when inserted in center of stuffing and the thigh reaches at least 170°, basting occasionally with pan drippings. (Cover loosely with foil if turkey browns too quickly.)
- 5. Bake additional stuffing, covered, for 25-30 minutes. Uncover; bake 10 minutes longer or until a thermometer reads 160°. Cover turkey and let stand for 20 minutes before removing stuffing and carving turkey. If desired, thicken pan drippings for gravy. Yield: 16 servings (12 cups stuffing).
8 ounces cooked turkey with 3/4 cup stuffing equals 777 calories, 40 g fat (14 g saturated fat), 282 mg cholesterol, 788 mg sodium, 20 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 80 g protein.
Reviews for Italian Christmas Turkey
Medium-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied white wine such as Riesling or Gewürtztraminer