- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 to 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Colored sprinkles
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in ricotta and vanilla. Combine flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a large bowl, butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough milk to reach spreading consistency. Frost cooled cookies and immediately decorate with sprinkles. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8-1/2 dozen.
Reviews for Italian Christmas Cookies
"I made them a few times and added lemon zest to the mix and to the glaze and they tasted fantastic!"
"The only good thing about these cookies is the texture. The flavor is quite bland. Will probably not make again."
"These moist, cake-like cookies were flying off the cooling rack before they were even frosted! Makes a nice big batch and freeze well too."
"I lost my great-grandmother's recipe for ricotta cookies, and have been looking for something similar...these are as close as it comes! Nonna always used almond or anise flavoring, so I added 2 tsp almond emulsion. As soon as they were out of the oven, it was like I was in Nonna's kitchen again! So good! I'll try the anise next time. Thank you so much for posting this recipe and giving me the opportunity to reconnect with the past!"
"I loved these cookies in years past, but this year I have a daughter that is gluten intolerant, and am wondering if anyone has tried the gf flour (i got mine at Costco) and did they turn out??"
"I have been making this cookie at least since 2006. It is a hit every year. My size is larger than a tsp closer to a tbsp"
"These cookies are the best! So moist & delicious."
"this are easy to make and taste great, what more could you want in a cookie"
"I made this cookie last Christmas and everyone said it was absolutely delicious.I recently made it again for a baby shower but used only blue sprinkles (a boy) - everyone wants the recipe!"
"I have made these cookies for the past 2 yrs for the holidays. They are very moist and delicious. I just made several batches for my daughter-in-law's baby shower and used baby blue sprinkles in lieu of holiday. They were beautiful, wonderful and everyone enjoyed them! Last night I made a batch to bring for our trip to visit the expecting parents since they stated that "Nicholas Parker" (baby to be in 1 month) wanted some!!"