Italian Christmas Cookies Recipe
"A single batch of these mouthwatering cookies is never enough," attests Doris Marshall of Strasburg, Pennsylvania. "I usually make one to give away and two more to keep at home. Adding ricotta cheese to the batter makes the morsels extra moist."—Doris Marshall, Strasburg, Pennsylvania
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 carton (15 ounces) ricotta cheese
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 to 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
- Colored sprinkles
- 1. In a bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in ricotta and vanilla. Combine flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture.
- 2. Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 in. apart onto greased baking sheets. Bake at 350° for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- 3. In a large bowl, butter, confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough milk to reach spreading consistency. Frost cooled cookies and immediately decorate with sprinkles. Store in the refrigerator. Yield: 8-1/2 dozen.
1 serving (2 each) equals 150 calories, 6 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 131 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC