Italian Chili Recipe
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Meanwhile, in a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, tomato sauce, onion, red pepper, water, celery, broth, chili powder, Italian seasoning, sugar, garlic and salt.
- 2. Drain beef mixture; add to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Add the beans, mushrooms, zucchini and parsley. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1-3/4 cup: 316 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 52mg cholesterol, 947mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 8g fiber), 25g protein .
Reviews for Italian Chili
"I made this chili for a chili cook off at work and won "Most Unusual Ingredient". I got lots of compliments and I absolutely loved it. I only made one change and took out the sugar. I'm just not a fan of any sweetness in my entrees."
"Most excellent! I used green pepper and lots of my own Italian spices- basil, oregano, thyme, and just a pinch of sage, fennel and nutmeg. Used ground buffalo- much leaner, and added a can of chick peas."
"Very good recipe! I ended up cooking my vegetables on high a little closer to an hour or so until they were tender."
"I used ground turkey and Italian turkey sausage to make it healthy. It turned out really good."