Italian Chili Recipe
By adding Italian seasoning and fresh veggies, our Test Kitchen put an Italian spin on traditional Southwestern-style chili and created this slow-simmered hearty dish.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 6-1/2 hours YIELD:6 servings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 can (28 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup diced zucchini
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- Shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese, optional
- 1. In a large skillet, cook beef and sausage over medium heat until no longer pink. Meanwhile, in a 3-qt. slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, tomato sauce, onion, red pepper, water, celery, broth, chili powder, Italian seasoning, sugar, garlic and salt.
- 2. Drain beef mixture; add to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours or until vegetables are tender.
- 3. Add the beans, mushrooms, zucchini and parsley. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with cheese if desired. Yield: 6 servings.
1 serving (1-3/4 cups) equals 316 calories, 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 52 mg cholesterol, 947 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 8 g fiber, 25 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC