Italian Chicken Recipe
Bobby Taylor of Michigan City, Indiana simmers breaded chicken in a tomatoey sauce seasoned with garlic, oregano and basil. A sprinkling of cheeses gives it a fast final touch.—Bobby S. Taylor, Michigan City, Indiana
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/4 cup water, divided
- 1/2 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1 broiler/fryer chicken (2 to 3 pounds), cut up
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed tomato soup, undiluted
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- Shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a shallow bowl, beat egg and 1 tablespoon water. Place the bread crumbs in another shallow bowl. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then coat with crumbs. Let stand for 5 minutes.
- 2. In a large skillet, fry chicken in oil until golden brown on all sides. Reduce heat to medium; cook until a thermometer reads 180°, about 15 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine the soup, onion, garlic powder, basil, oregano and remaining water. Bring to a gentle boil over medium heat. Reduce heat; cover and cook for 3-5 minutes or until onion is tender. Serve chicken with sauce; sprinkle with cheeses. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Italian Chicken
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC