Italian Chicken Stew
"My husband enjoys preparing this satisfying stew because it's so easy to make," relates Jo Calizzi, Vandergrift, Pennsylvania. "With warm Italian bread, it's a winner on a cold day."
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
- 4 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 jar (26 ounces) meatless spaghetti sauce
- 1-3/4 cups frozen cut green beans
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Pepper to taste
- In a large skillet, cook the chicken, potatoes, red pepper and garlic
- in oil until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the remaining ingredients; cook and stir until heated
- through. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1-1/2 cups serving (prepared with 1 tablespoon oil and 1/4 teaspoon salt) equals 475 calories, 13 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 995 mg sodium, 62 g carbohydrate, 11 g fiber, 31 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 4 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 fat.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as