This satisfying soup gets its Italian flair from fennel, thyme, basil and orzo pasta. If you don't start with a low-sodium or sodium-free stock, advises our Test Kitchen stay, you might want to decrease the amount of salt called for in the recipe.
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups hot water
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 cups chopped carrots
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
- 1/2 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fennel fronds
- In a Dutch oven, saute fennel bulb and onion in oil until fennel is tender. Add the next seven ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduced heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in chicken and orzo. Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until orzo is tender. Stir in fennel fronds. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Italian Chicken Soup in Light & Tasty December/January 2002, p61
Reviews for Italian Chicken Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review