Italian Chicken Skillet Supper Recipe
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons reduced-fat butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 pound small fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 teaspoons shredded Romano cheese
- 1. Flatten chicken slightly; sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken in butter and oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- 2. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion, red pepper and pine nuts until vegetables are tender. Add spinach; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until wilted. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in broth and mustard. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- 3. Return chicken to the pan; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 2 servings.
1 chicken breast half with 1/2 cup vegetable mixture equals 248 calories, 10 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 548 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 29 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 fat.
Reviews for Italian Chicken Skillet Supper
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.