Romano cheese, sliced vegetables and pine nuts jazz up this saucy chicken dinner from Barbara Lento of Houston, Pennsylvania. “It’s easy, and we love it!” Barbara says.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons reduced-fat butter
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 pound small fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1 tablespoon pine nuts
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1-1/2 teaspoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 teaspoons shredded Romano cheese
- Flatten chicken slightly; sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, cook chicken in butter and oil over medium heat for 3-4 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Remove and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion, red pepper and pine nuts until vegetables are tender. Add spinach; cook and stir for 2-3 minutes or until wilted. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in broth and mustard. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Return chicken to the pan; heat through. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 2 servings.
Originally published as Italian Skillet Supper in Cooking for 2 Spring 2008, p45
Light-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied white wine such as Sauvignon Blanc or Pinot Grigio.
Reviews for Italian Chicken Skillet Supper
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review