Italian Chicken Sausage Soup Recipe
- 1 package (12 ounces) fully cooked Italian chicken sausage links, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) white kidney or cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered and sliced
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 8 ounces whole fresh mushrooms, quartered
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup prepared pesto
- 1/4 cup dry red wine or additional reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh oregano or 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In a Dutch oven, cook sausage and onion in oil until sausage is browned. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- 2. Stir in the beans, tomatoes, zucchini, broth, mushrooms, water, pesto, wine, vinegar, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Sprinkle with cheese. Yield: 6 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
1-2/3 cup: 337 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 47mg cholesterol, 838mg sodium, 35g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 10g fiber), 22g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch, 1-1/2 fat.
Reviews for Italian Chicken Sausage Soup
"This is delicious! Reminds me of pizza as it cooks. This is good without the beans. Add a pinch of salt & hot pepper flakes to taste. I also used turkey Italian sausage links in place of chicken."
"A family favorite. Leftovers are great when packing your lunch."
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.